Sunday, March 01, 2009

Good stuff.






I'm still here. I've been managing the kids/home since Friday all by myself as Chip is in Chicago at the golf show. Five to one is good odds for some things, but can be a little tiring when you're talkin' five kids to one mom. Especially when they all think they need me for something all at the same time! Luckily I've been practicing patience, and as you can see from the kids in this picture taken just as they were heading to bed, they are all still happy, healthy and even bathed at the end of a long weekend. As you can also see, I didn't post a picture of me. I'm sure I look like I need a cat nap. Or some alone time. =)
I will tell you that I actually enjoy time with my kids. I know some people can't wait to head out the door and leave the kids to someone else's care, but I really feel fortunate that I can be home full time. Yes, I admit, it can be exhausting and I do skip my share of showers and putting on make-up, but the little sacrifices are so worth the rewards I get to experience. One of the little rewards for me today was from Bella at about 3 o'clock. She came up to me and handed me a folded up piece of paper. When I opened it up it read, "This is a secret: I love you forever and ever. Love Isabella".
How sweet is that?! It's little things like that when I feel so happy to be home and find that even though I do have to repeat myself over and over at times, or never get caught up with folding and putting away laundry, that help make my days. I sometimes go hours on end without adult conversation or days without leaving the house, but I find I don't even mind it all that much.
Another highlight of my weekend happened late Friday afternoon. The Fed-Ex man dropped off an unexpected package. Much to my surprise (and Ava's too, as you see her in the top photo) it was a box FULL of K&Company scrapbooking supplies. I am blown away by not only the amount/number of items, but their amazing quality and how fun the new product lines are! I owe a big thank you to Megan... I can't wait to create some fun things with all of this suprise "stuff". I think I may be offering some random give-aways once I make some things too. So keep and eye out for those.
You do know that I refer to myself from time to time as a "SAHM"...not "Stay At Home Mom" but rather "Stuck At Home Mom", right?! If I do have to be stuck at home (which I just mentioned how I'm okay with that too?!), I feel very lucky to have great kids and lots of craft projects to keep me busy as well. =) You can also find me at Facebook on occasion (send me a note that says blog reader or something to that effect if you want to add me...I'm Jody Ferlaak), in addition to that I am getting acquainted with Skype too. I love it! I'm wondering why everyone in the world that has a computer and web cam isn't doing this yet. It's so great! Or maybe I'm just easily entertained. Either way, I really like Skype.
Ava loves it too.
I have to mention the bike pictured in the post here- it's Wyndham's new bike that is specially fitted for her. We are all excited to see her put it to use as soon as the weather warms up here in Michigan. She always wants to do what other kids around here are doing, and so we are very grateful that she was able to get this custom bike after being approved for it by her physiatrist. I hope she has lots of confidence on it, and that it will be one more big milestone for her to be able to ride a bike- just like all the other kids. Wish her luck and you can be sure I'll post pictures of her on it, just as soon as we get our first photo op.
Finally, I want to share a quote I heard on the radio today. I think it is a good one to read and re-read and then challenge us in our daily living. It reads: "The way we live our lives is a measure of our contentment toward God."
Happy first day of March to all of you!

20 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a busy weekend! We missed seeing you at church today. :-)

Crew looks just like his daddy in that photo with all the kiddos! He is getting so big!

I totally agree about skype. What a great program! We used it regularly when my SIL was student teaching in Costa Rica.

All that scrap stuff looks like sooo much fun!

Happy March! :-)

Katy said...

That is a great quote!!

Boy did you ever receive a great gift of scrapbooking supplies. I would be lost with all of that stuff. The ideas are endless and with you the outcome will be awesome.

Yeah for Wyndham with the new bike. I can't wait to see pictures. Her smile will be priceless.

Nieman Family said...

Can't wait to see Wyndham riding that bike. My kids are growing up and I'm so feeling by working all day every day I miss out on so much. No time for laundry, or baking or dusting or vacuuming...On, and on. So the decision is on the table for me. So I know you do feel blessed you get to be a SAHM!

erin said...

what an awesome bike for your daughter!
and have fun with your new goodies!

Lauren said...

Ohhhhh my, look at all that scrapbooking stuff, how awesome. Loved the pics and that's soooo cool about Wyndam's bike!!!!! How exciting!!!! :o)

Amanda said...

That is a great bike ~ i know your daughter will have lots of fun with it in the summer!
That is alot of scrapbooking supplies ~ it will keep you busy for a wee while!
l,
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

WOW! One whose away from the raising of kids forgets ALL it entails. I've been there but not with 5 like you! Sounds like you're perspective is good on what's important etc.

I lOVE the quote you shared at the end...so I copied/pasted it and will include it on my Facebook profile!

Love that you finally blogged after a week Jody! Have another great week!
WSL

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you read MckMamma's blog but I couldn't resist sending this poem to you anyway. This hit me hard as I struggle to regroup after a minor surgery with 2 children, 3 and 1! My husband is very good at helping me to set aside the "stuff" in our life and appreciate our family but as a SAHM sometimes all you can see are the things that need to be done. You are an encouragement to me to see the beauty of everyday life and you help me to not beat myself up with guilt when I fail to do that. Enjoy the poem again!
Missy

SONG FOR A FIFTH CHILD
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
~Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Anonymous said...

Jody, I read your blog and am always touched by your many gifts, among the most beautiful is your sweet and tender heart toward the needs of your precious Wyndham.
I too have a special needs child and my days are filled with more blessings than challenges, but sometimes the challenges are seriously challenging! For this reason, I wonder if you would post information on the amazing bike you got for Wyndham. I think it would be perfect for our little girl and I have never seen one before. Thanks and God bless you!

Rebekah said...

Yea!!!Jody we missed you. The silly nurse I am worried and prayed that all was ok. My 23 yr old daughter and I have started following you. We love seeing the pictures of you kids and the fun you have. My daughter thinks Crew is the cutest little boy she has ever seen. You remind me to keep whats important important. Thanks

Jess said...

LOVE your blog!!!
Is it weird that I am THIS excited to be your friend on Facebook?
Thanks!:)
Jess in Nebraska

Nicoolmama said...

Awesome loot! In the 2nd picture down, there is a frog box that says Chip Box. I thought that was funny. Your kids are dolls!

wife.mom.nurse said...

I am so excited for Wyndham! She is going to love that bike.

I don't want you to think I am without manners, but I have checked the mail box for weeks and the special greeting did not arrive.

No worries, it was a very sweet though ")

Elise said...

Hi Jody

I have been a lurker on your inspirational blog for a while now.

I wanted to let you know that I check in on your blog on a regualr basis and find your optimistic attitude and musings an uplifting experience.

Like you, I feel so blessed to be a stay at home home. It is such a privilege, particulalry in this economic climate.

All those scrapbook supplies look amazing. So much creative fun awaits you. After caring for your five gorgeous children solo, you deserve some time out to enjoy these goodies.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your creations and Wyndam enjoying her brand new bike.

Elise

Must.Be.A-Follower. said...

LOL!! At first glance at the top photo, I thought that was Crew stashed in that corner! hahaha!

Man you inspire me spiritually and all things momma!

K, I'm gonna go request ya on FB, ta ta.
~Camille

oh, hello friend. said...

Jody!

Thank you for your kind comment! I am so glad you are enjoying the series! It started with finding a few photos of different elements.. then I began the search and it actually took a really long time to gather all the photos, lol. But once I was committed, I had to go through with it ;)

But just to know one person is enjoying the series makes it all worth it, so thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Great blog! You have a lovely family! I will definitely be stopping back in! I also love your playlist selection: wonderful and encouraging songs. It is so exciting to meet a fellow blog believer. ;) Have a blessed week friend.

xo, danni

Anonymous said...

I was like you, I loved to be with my girls, that was always what I wanted to be was a "Mommie" Looks like if you get to catch a break you'll be able to find some crafting time! Always a plus too! Enjoy, God Bless Shi~

Anita said...

Wow! What an amazing pile of scrapping heaven!!!!!!!!!!! You are lucky to have such a treasure trove of goodies sent to you. I admit, I'm green with envy :-)

Shannon said...

Good morning from Austin!
First off: Props to you surviving without dad. :)
What a great gift you got in the mail. I don't scrap but looks like fun. (I blog instead and that's about all I can do now)
I too am a stuck at home mom. That's why I paint and redecorate alot. lol.
I too enjoy being home with my kids. Just the other day Abigail found a dandy lion and came to me and said "fwow-ie"....it was so precious. She took the "fwow-ie" to nap time. My son always comes over to sit in my lap or say "Hep me". I cannot imagine not being able to see my kids all day. (Yes there are moments that I don't want to see their 4 eye balls!) but time goes by so fast.
Thanks for keeping it in perspective.
-Shannon in Austin

Shannon said...

Oh and the bike is outstanding! (I used to be a Case Manager and I had to assist with obtaining a bike once)