Sunday, April 29, 2007

Polka dots, the color orange, coconut and cupcakes...


Simply happy about a color, a pattern, a recipe and one of my favorite foods. Coconut. As Teagan so affectionately termed it..."CocoDot". =)
I found this picture and recipe for Carrot Cake Cupcakes at Martha Stewart's website. I haven't made them myself (still haven't gotten around to the S'mores cupcakes yet either!), but I have big dreams. =) If you know me in the least, you know that I am a big fan of carrot cake. Really good carrot cake. With coconut and walnuts. My mom made my carrot cake wedding cake...and I think she has the best recipe ever. I have it somewhere. But I plan to give this recipe a try too. Just to compare. =)
Ingredients-
Serving: Makes 12
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus more for garnish
8 ounces cream cheese, (room temperature)
3/4 cup confectioners? sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions-
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cupcakes: In a bowl, combine sugar, vegetable oil, orange juice, vanilla extract, and eggs.
Stir in baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt. Add flour; mix. Stir in carrots, walnuts, and coconut.
Oil a standard muffin tin or line with paper cups; distribute batter evenly.
Bake until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 25 minutes. Let cool before frosting. Garnish with toasted shredded coconut.
Make the icing: In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.

3 comments:

.Tom Kapanka said...

Looks, delicious as zucchini bread!
I quoted you in Part IV of "Why Bloggers Blog" Sunday night. Hope that's okay.

gloria said...

::drools::
okay soon i am going to have to ask for warnings before visiting your yummy blog...
b/c i tend to leave and crave sugar for the rest of the day after posts like this...

Kim said...

THESE look scrum-diddly-umptious!